5.07.2009

Old Metal

I was surprised to realize that I like old metal. Old as in parts and pieces, trains, farm equipment, wire trays, spokes, lawn furniture, and the feel of tin and heavy iron especially. Grates, bolts, radiators, latches, hinges, chicken wire, hydrants, gas meters, manhole covers, one way signs. It's a tactile thing, it puts me in touch with my rarer masculine side. I also like shiny metal, bronze, silver, aluminum, and the platinum of my feminine side.  I harbor a couple of chipped aqua electric fans, wrought iron ornaments, and numerous topiary frames. Perhaps it is the aging and mottling that i appreciate, the strength of stuff well-made in a previous time of hard work and acceptance. Perhaps the item I fondle in a thrift sale calls to me of a simpler reason to exist, before modems and chips and monitors. Perhaps I just like giving new purpose to unusual pieces, no longer useful or in working order. Maybe the favor will be returned one day. 

No comments: