2.25.2009

my sapphire ring


the luxury of platinum, the serendipity of 8 jewels, a sedate brilliance. this is the ring that spoke my name. this is  the ring i have loved to wear, the ring that gave summarily the joy of a baby's smiles,  gurgling laughter and days drawing into tomorrows.  this is the ring that says "i cherish you;" this ring urges " you will never regret it;"  it whispers "it is finished." beneath the crisp white lights of a tiny jewelry store on park avenue, time stood still and i fell in love, with a deep dark sapphire, a cradle of diamond baguettes, and a vintage setting, an estate piece reworked to capture my eye.   
memories flood my already fragile senses and i let go, i release. i give. i give away the thing i have enjoyed because it is just an inanimate object of my affection. it tells a history of us, a changing dynamic, a glance at yesterday's bustling activity on a shady brick street in winter park. my choice today would be for that emerald-cut stone i have long desired, the one i failed to hold out for long ago. meanwhile, my precious, hopeful, loving daughter awaits my affirmation, my love. i cannot pause this moment, this opportunity, this gift. i can only delight in passing a treasure on to her, who is my dear treasure, greater than all the diamonds or sapphires, more to be desired than much fine gold. 

No comments: